2) Pollution both from jet aircraft and the leaded fuel used by the prop planes.
3) Health and safety concerns associated with having such a busy airport surrounded on all sides by residential neighborhoods.
4) The future of the airport including the ‘visioning process’ and what happens in 2015 when the lease expires.
5) Noise and flight path complaints and what happens to them.
6) Making sure your concerns are heard.CASMAT volunteers conduct frequent studies of airport related matters particularly in areas where detailed information is not otherwise available. These studies have not only assisted the public in understanding airport realities, but also the City itself. CASMAT volunteers actively participate in City and Airport Commission meetings and coordinate closely with neighborhood organizations in order to ensure the community is fully informed and that community concerns are addressed. If you wish to help, or if you simply want to be kept informed on the issues, please visit the “Get Involved” page and sign up, or simply click on the “Follow by e-mail” or “Follow on FaceBook” buttons.
CASMAT is open to all the communities surrounding SMO, it is not just a Santa Monica organization. Our goal is to address airport issues in a manner that benefits all the surrounding communities, we are not interested in inter-city sniping, nor in promoting traffic routing over other neighborhoods. Such activity sets portions of the community against each other, weakening us all by preventing us from speaking with one voice. With 2015 approaching, and the looming issue of what becomes of SMO when the 1984 agreement expires, only the FAA can benefit from such activities.
CASMAT is now part of the Committee for Local Control of Santa Monica Airport Land (CLCSMAL). This political committee was formed to defeat the AOPA ballot initiative and make sure the City initiative wins. Unlike the AOPA measure, the City measure guarantees a real vote on development, and puts precedence on parks and low intensity uses. AOPA has spent over $1/3 million so far just on the signature gathering phase, we expect at least three times that to be spent on the campaign. CLCSMAL needs your help for all of our sakes. You can find a donation form here: link to donation form.